........A Chicago area beauty blogger's foray into day-spas, med-spas, and countless beauty counters........

(Anything in BLUE or GRAY within the text is a LINK to more information)

Dermelect Timeless Anti-Aging Daily Hand Treatment and StriVectin HC Ultra-Concentration For The Hands

I can't seem to find an answer as to why there aren't many anti-aging hand lotions or serums out there. I mean sure, you could use the tiny bottle you buy for your face on your hands, but that's just too expensive.

Hands age no matter how much sunscreen you apply. They lose collagen and the skin gets thin, some get wrinkly or veiny, or get sunspots, and they all get dry! Why are there so few products out there with peptides or antioxidants that have a strong concentration of active ingredient to put on hands at night? There are a ton of moisturizers out there--shea butter and humectants, cocoa butter, and so on, but why so few hand anti-aging products?

Through all my research looking for a product to put on my hands at night, I've really only found two that have anti-aging properties, and I've used both: Dermelect Timeless Anti-Aging Daily Hand Treatment ($22) with peptides to plump and promote collagen production, collagen to reduces crepey skin, hyaluronic acid to moisturize, and some ingredients to fade dark spots and exfoliate. This line also makes a peptide-infused nail treatment line to strengthen nails, that I'm interested in checking out.

The second is StriVectin HC Ultra-Concentration For The Hands ($29) which, for some reason, never seems to be available on the company's website, but is at various online stores. The latter is the child of the Klein-Becker company that started out with an, at the time, revolutionary treatment for red/pink stretchmarks, and moved in to the anti-aging/wrinkle reduction arena shortly after. The StriVectin family of products also use peptides to plump and promote collagen production, collagen to reduce the look of crepey skin, antioxidants, and moisturizers.

I've used both, separately, at bedtime only, because I wash my hands too many times during the day and it would just be a waste of product. Besides, skin rejuvenates primarily when we sleep, so this is the best time for any product that has work to do! Although both creams say they  include moisturizers, I always add a hand lotion after I apply the treatment because I don't feel like they moisturize enough. The anti-aging benefits are really what I'm looking for, so I don't mind adding some additional lotion.

I do see that both hand treatments work, but they require consistent use to see results, and the truth is, the earlier you start using any treatment, the less damage you'll see happen to your skin in the first place. Prevention is a whole lot easier than correction or maintenance, so get an early start!


Are you following PLBB on Facebook